Friday, September 25, 2009

A Sneaky Day

One of the many things Tracy loved about our home church was the pulpit. Not only did it have a placard on it which read, "Sir, we would see Jesus," but it was also the right height for him.

Recently the Baptist Theological Seminary of Zambia invited him to speak at their morning chapel service. Not only was it a beautiful pulpit with a carved plaque on it, but, you guessed it, it was the right height for someone who is vertically challenged.

This was also a day for God's sneaky theology. Tracy had asked if I would like to go with him to the Twin Palms area. I had actually thought about it, as in this culture it is a good thing for wives to accompany their husbands to these events. I agreed to go but must confess I did think of the many things I could be doing instead.

Sneaky God theology
is a term several sisters and I came up with a few years ago to describe God's workings in our lives. It's oftentimes referred to as "God's sovereignty" in larger circles. We especially like our term because with it is a hint of the ways in which God surprises, delights, and woos His children. I think this term also reflects the playful side of God, too. And, of course, it's all within His sovereign plan!

Anyway, I went expecting to hear a familiar message from my husband on hoping in God. But, what I heard was the story of Ruth, masterfully told by Tracy in four acts. The book came alive for me in a way it had not since doing one of John Piper's advent poems on Ruth many moons ago. I don't know if God spoke to anyone else in that room, but God spoke to me that morning. As tears streamed down my face, God reminded me of His promises and gently spoke to my heart. I needed to hope in God for He is good, faithful, and wise. And, I might add, sneaky!

(Pictures, top to bottom: emblem on the pulpit; Tracy preaching; the seminary's principal, Ezron Musonda, and Tracy enjoying a cup of tea afterwards.)

No comments: