
Makeni held its graduation ceremony today for its adult education graduates. They had just completed courses in poultry, agriculture, and carpentry over a period of six to twelve months.
Unlike the solemn entry of black-robed graduates in the States, these graduates entered in their colorful outfits.Their joy, exuberant and contagious, moved me to tears for I knew they had worked so hard.


The guest of honor today was Mrs. Banda, the First Lady of Zambia. Tracy and I sat within 20 feet of her table in a section marked for guests. I don't think we would've been allowed within 20 yards of Michelle Obama at such an occasion!

About half an hour before the celebration, Tracy was asked to give the opening prayer. God gave him just the right words for the occasion.
Several of the children's choirs entered dancing as well and sang several selections. After their songs, the First Lady rose and presented each choir with a gift of money.
After opening remarks by the center's administrator, the First

Lady adddressed the graduates, commending them on their accomplishments and newly acquired skills. She encouraged them that even if they could not get a job, they needed to use their education to provide for themselves as well as their families. She then assisted in presenting the graduates' certificates.
Pictured to Mrs. Banda's left in the sixth and seventh pictures is Mrs. Dil, dressed in gold. In 1966 Mrs. Dil and her husband, Pierre, were

expelled from South Africa for their stand against apartheid. They were given ten days in which to pack all their belongings. After staying in England for a short time, they returned to Africa, to Lusaka, Zambia, where they eventually founded the Makeni Ecumenical Center. The twenty acres of MEC houses an orphanage, church, carpentry shop, piggery, poultry farm, schools, clinic, and computer lab. As I thought of Mrs. Dil sitting next to the First Lady of Zambia, I marvelled. "Who would've thought that this woman who has suffered the ignominy of her homeland, would rub shoulders with Zambia's president's wife?" By the way, she

knows Jimmy Carter, met Barbara Bush, and has had tea with Queen Elizabeth! God truly turns mourning into dancing, exchanges curses for blessings!
Before the graduates jubilantly filed out from under the tent, they presented a gift to Mrs. Banda~a choice pig! I was told Mrs. Banda leaned over and told the administrator, "We are farmers!" The pink porker wasn't as excited as his exit was rather clumsy~as his crate was being carried out, his legs

slipped out between the slats, causing an undignified departure.
And, who would've thought that I would be asked to join the First Lady and other special guests for lunch afterwards? That's right~I was invited to sit at the head table with her, three seats away! I must say, that's made my day!
3 comments:
Wow - what a great account - and what an honor!
That last comment was me, by the way (JoHannah)
Wow! That is too cool! Sounds like a really fun event and definitely a wonderful cultural experience!
Post a Comment