Thursday, December 11, 2008

A Zambian Thesaurus

I've collected a number of Zambian words and want to see if you can name their American counterpart. I'll post the answers in a few days on the next blog. If you've been following our blog this past year you'll find some of the answers. Here goes!

What is/are . . .

~turbo floss?
~robots?
~a peg?
~pants?
~petrol?
~paraffin?
~a torch?
~a flyover?
~cotton buds?
~sweets?
~tropicals?
~crisps?

3 comments:

JoHannah said...

~turbo floss? - electric toothbrush
~robots? - computers
~a peg? - a nail
~pants? - underwear
~petrol? - gasoline
~paraffin? - candle
~a torch? - flashlight
~a flyover? - kite
~sweets? - dessert
~tropicals? - fruit
~crisps? - french fries

Did I get any of them right?

jojo said...

oooh!! I want to play!

turbo floss? rope
robots? traffic lights
a peg? door handle
pants? panties
paraffin? candle
a torch? flashlight
a flyover? airport
sweets? fruit
tropicals? candy
crisps? chips

Anonymous said...

I might get one or two of these:

~turbo floss?
~robots? -traffic lights
~a peg?
~pants? -underwear
~petrol? -gasoline
~paraffin? -wax
~a torch? -flashlight
~a flyover?
~cotton buds? -q-tips (or)cotton swabs?
~sweets?
~tropicals?
~crisps? -chips

I guess that's it, but a disclaimer: each of the above posts gave me reminders for one or two terms!