Thursday, November 29, 2007

The Promises of God


God gave me a verse this morning that brought great comfort to me at this point in our lives. From Ezekiel 11:16~"Though I removed them far off among the nations, and though I scattered them among the countries, yet I have been a sanctuary to them for awhile in the countries where they have gone."(ESV)

The normal usage of the word "sanctuary" is a place of protection. In the book, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, a woman takes refuge in a cathedral, seeking protection. We all are familiar with the story of a Hispanic woman taking refuge in a Chicago church to escape deportation to Mexico.

Tracy and I have recently made the decision to proceed with being in Zambia by the middle of January even though we are only at 72% of our monthly support. The only way that we can do this is if we live in a small (realtors call it "cozy") cottage on someone else's property. This temporary situation greatly reduces our monthly needs. However, we still need to raise the remaining 28%, most likely overseas. As you can imagine this raises several fears in my heart~will this temporary arrangement mean forever? God, You are already asking us to endure so much; this, too? Will the remaining support come in? And, a veiled fear, is God good?

God is good for He gave me this verse which has become my own personal promise. Upon reading it I immediately penned this prayer, "Be a sanctuary to me, oh God, in the country I go to." Tracy and I are convinced that God is calling us to be in Africa in January. If He is calling us, He will give what is needed.

1 comment:

Kyle White said...

Amen! God as provider. Thanks for that.