Sunday, June 21, 2009

A Day At Ciyanjano, Part IV

Yesterday was a busy day and one which I thought I was going to have to pay for today by staying in bed. Thankfully, I'm not as old as I thought I was! Because termites caused damage to the insaka pictured here, it needed to be dismantled so it can be rebuilt. A number of us began by pulling out the thatching (grass) which covers the structure. As it was removed the thatching was discarded and put aside for future burning.

While removing it we had to bring out Doom (insect spray) to kill
the wasps and bees buzzing around. The guys on the roof had the
most fun as they could just pull the thatch out and toss it to those down below. Kevin and Ed soon began a competition to see who could pull out the most massive amounts. Unthatching the insaka was dirty work and we all felt like we were wearing a coat of dirt.

After half of the roof was removed, the guys began breaking up the
concrete which lined the peak. I do believe they also had a lot of
good, destructive fun with this.

No comments: