Yesterday I read a devotional by Margaret Clarkson that really spoke to me. Entitled “A Hedge Around Us” it pointed out that a hedge is around every child of God that is for his or her protection and blessing. Sometimes, she explained, these hedges are thick with thorns that are designed to keep the believer close to the heart of God. As I meditated on this I thought of the “thorns” that have been multitudinal here in Zambia recently~power outages for 12-18 hours a day, water shortages, a delayed container, melted electrical sockets, and dysfunctional internet service. My response can be to flail about in frustration and as a result wound myself with the sharp thorns. Or, I can remain quiet and still, trusting that God has my good in mind through all these events. A verse that also came to mind was Psalm 131:2, “But I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with its mother; like a weaned child is my soul within me.” A child that is still nursing is anything but calm when there’s a lack. She is on a frantic search for nourishment; she is restless and roots about, tossing her head back and forth, limbs swinging wildly. One who is weaned, however, is content to rest on her mother’s breast, satisfied. The struggle is over, she is at peace. Pray that we would rest within the thorns, knowing that they are there for our good and His glory. Pray that we would be thankful throughout the day, a great remedy for a complaining spirit. Pray that as God meets us within the hedge that we would respond in faith and quietness.
"...the people who know their God will display strength and take action." (Daniel 11:32;NASB)
Wednesday, April 30, 2008
A Hedge of Protection
Yesterday I read a devotional by Margaret Clarkson that really spoke to me. Entitled “A Hedge Around Us” it pointed out that a hedge is around every child of God that is for his or her protection and blessing. Sometimes, she explained, these hedges are thick with thorns that are designed to keep the believer close to the heart of God. As I meditated on this I thought of the “thorns” that have been multitudinal here in Zambia recently~power outages for 12-18 hours a day, water shortages, a delayed container, melted electrical sockets, and dysfunctional internet service. My response can be to flail about in frustration and as a result wound myself with the sharp thorns. Or, I can remain quiet and still, trusting that God has my good in mind through all these events. A verse that also came to mind was Psalm 131:2, “But I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with its mother; like a weaned child is my soul within me.” A child that is still nursing is anything but calm when there’s a lack. She is on a frantic search for nourishment; she is restless and roots about, tossing her head back and forth, limbs swinging wildly. One who is weaned, however, is content to rest on her mother’s breast, satisfied. The struggle is over, she is at peace. Pray that we would rest within the thorns, knowing that they are there for our good and His glory. Pray that we would be thankful throughout the day, a great remedy for a complaining spirit. Pray that as God meets us within the hedge that we would respond in faith and quietness.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Your blogs are wonderful!! I check nearly every day. Keep them coming. You need to know that people are reading them--at least I am.
Mary
Post a Comment